Odyssey Traveller is offering travellers the opportunity to attend the Oberammergau Passion Play in 2020, with three (3) different tour types between May and September. These groups are limited to just 12 people. Odyssey intends to run four (4) tours to Oberammergau 2020. We will offer one of each of the tours below, and a repeat of the most popular tour.
About the Oberammergau Passion PlayIn about the year 1600 the people of Oberammergau performed a passion play to give thanks for their village’s deliverance from the Black Death, and vowed to repeat its performances regularly in the years to come. The actual dates of those early performances are unknown, but we do know that the play was performed in 1634. This is usually given as the date of the first performance, but the records make it clear that it was already well known, so that we can be reasonably sure that its origins go back at least to early years of the century. The villagers have been faithful to their vow, and the play has been performed every decade as far as circumstances would permit, though the text has been rewritten and the manner of performance modified by guest directors: it is very much a ‘living’ organism, and by no means a lifeless archaeological oddity. The Oberammergau Passion Play, held only every decade, will be performed 102 times between 16 May 2020 and 4 October 2020 in the small Bavarian town of Oberammergau south of Germany. Our tours are designed to include educational trips to nearby cities (e.g. Berlin, Vienna, and Prague) with a Program Leader and local guides to give you a fulfilling experience while in Western Europe. It is best to buy the Passion Play tickets well in advance as part of a tour group, which is what Odyssey Traveller is offering, as direct bookings with hotel accommodations and pre- and post-event transportation arrangements may be difficult since establishments have likely made prior arrangements in relation to the world-famous performance. The Passion Play brings nearly half a million visitors to the small village, and tickets usually sell out despite the large number of performances. The play is held in the 4,500-seater Passionstheater in Oberammergau. The theatre is partly open air. All seats are under roof cover, however, so performances are not cancelled due to rain. The Oberammergau Passion Play lasts five hours and is performed in two sessions: 14:30 to 17:00 – Part 1 Dinner Break 20:00 to 22:30 – Part 2 Please note that performances begin an hour earlier for performances after 17 August 2020. The play is in German but translations or subtitles are provided and, if you are touring with Odyssey Traveller, we will arrange dinner for you at a designated hotel or restaurant prior to completion of the performance in the evening.
Booking with Odyssey TravellerIf you wish to attend Oberammergau 2020, please look over the general booking terms below. If none of these tours appeal to you and you would still like to experience the Oberammergau 2020 Passion Play, please let us know, since we may be able to put together a slightly different tour package, customised to your needs.
- At the time of booking, an AU$1,000 non-refundable, per-person deposit is required to secure a place.
- A further AU$1,000 on or before January 15, 2019 is required to meet the stringent booking requirements stipulated by the organisers. Alternatively, this additional amount is required at the time of booking (if after January 15, 2019) should tickets still be available. That is, bookings after this date will be asked to pay a deposit of AU$2,000
- The balance of the 30% deposit is required to be paid a minimum of one year prior to departure
- The final payment is required 180 days prior to the commencement of the tour
- The price is correct as at November 2017. The price is locked in if full payment is received at the time of booking. Otherwise, Odyssey may adjust the tour price to reflect currency fluctuations at any time prior to the final payment.
Contemporary Germany & Oberammergau Passion Play 2022
From A$13,995 AUDView Tour
Oberammergau Passion Play 2022 & the Habsburg cities
Visiting Austria, Czech Republic
From A$15,250 AUDView Tour